Sunday 6 November 2011


YOU HAVE NOW ENTERED THE KOREAN LIMIT...

Hi everyone!  So I'm trying to figure out the computer that is all in Korean so bear with me if my posts aren't as high tech as they could be.  Oh where to begin?  Well I guess I should outline the my journey for everyone.  It was a long one so I will probably break it down into posts because even though I am an avid talker it takes a lot more energy to organize everything into coherent sentences.  So here it goes...

I had told everyone that I would make it out of Canada before the first snowfall but unfortunately, true to my procrastinating ways, I missed that goal by a day (still not too shabby).  I awoke to a thin layer of snow on the morning of my departure and while putting the dogs out on the chain in the morning I looked up to see the geese noisily flying south and knew that I too was shipping out.  I was packing until the very last minute trying to lighten my bags by 8lbs and 3lbs.  And so, I implemented a very chaotic rotation system of weighing each bag using two step scales, a luggage scale, and passing the bags back and forth between my dad and I with each of us standing on the scales and my little brother looking between our feet trying to get an accurate reading of each scale.  This is all after pre-weighing my luggage at the airport scale earlier in the week and determining that I was going to have to decide what crucial items would not make the cut.  In the end I had to abandon two pairs of shoes, my shampoo, a few lotions, and whatever clothing items that were unlucky enough to be near the top of the pile. So after a hectic morning of running last minute errands (copying documents, picking up food, etc.) my parents and I went out for a quick lunch at the local chinese restaurant (here they call it jampon as far as I can figure out (phonetic pronunciation?)) and then packed the rest up in a flurry.  Off to the airport I went and said my goodbyes.  Thankfully I didn't cry but I'm sure that will come later once it sinks in that it will be a long time before I see everyone again.  Anyways, so off to security I went. 

Here I thought that it was going to be a long and boring wait at the airport until my flight left because I checked in at 4:30pm and my flight didn't leave until 7:05pm but true to my style, some unlucky stranger became the target of my chit-chatting affections.  This guy was standing in front of me in the security line-up and I noticed his toe shoes strapped to the outside of his bag.  I couldn't help myself but start up a conversation that then led into us sitting down and having a coffee while waiting to board.  Jimmy turned out to be pretty interesting.  I deduced that he was not a student (his style was casual but higher quality), carried MEC baggage, and was in his late 20's. He provided me with very little information while he challenged me to guess what he did.  I figured he was in some line of oil business and it turned out that he is an engineer in Calgary but was heading to Australia to visit a friend.  I discovered that he designs bow ties as a side business (I know, so random, lol) and he showed me a few of them online.  Apparently bow ties are now fashion forward so men, start stocking up! Well then it was boarding time and we discovered that we were only a row away from one another.  Even so, we plugged in the headphones, opened up out reading material, and waited for the next 3 hours to pass until round 2 of travel began in Los Angelas. 

Well I've been up for, well due to this time change I'm not really sure how long, but I'm going to head to bed and I shall continue with my story in the morning.  So welcome to my blog.  I promise it will get more interesting once I get some sleep and find some action in this city!  So stick around and keep connected! 

No comments:

Post a Comment