Wednesday 30 November 2011

Let’s Sprinkle in a Bit of Paris…



Welcome to the Paris Baguette!  This is South Korea’s secret pleasure and I’m sure it will be my downfall.  The word popular doesn’t even begin to describe these scrumptious delights.  Though they are delicious, it took me a little while to figure out why these café treats are so popular.  Apparently, household ovens are very rare in Korea (insanely expensive) and so breads and pastries are something that you can only buy in the stores.  These stores stay open until past 12am and I’m starting to wonder if they’re a 24hr-type of store because I’ve never seen one closed even on my early morning walks.  Some of them even have a coffee station so you can sit and chat with friends over a pastry and cappuccino. 


The other thing that draws people in are these delectable desserts.  I’ve had to fight the urge to splurge on one of these decorated masterpieces and eat it all in the name of Korean research.  I’m slightly apprehensive of just diving in because I’ve learned that things are not always as they seem.  For example, when I was in Mexico for one of my girlfriend’s (and fellow blogger –lionslacelattes) wedding, I was overjoyed to see an abundance of desserts.  Chocolate cheese cake, tarts, chocolate mouse, and other treats but we soon realized that the chocolate was nothing more than cream or mouse masquerading as a girl’s best friend.  There was no richness, no sweetness, and no creamy goodness.  As a result, I’m almost content to merely gaze upon these works of art and imagine what they taste like rather than deal with another dessert disappointment.  I wonder how long I can hold out…?

2 comments:

  1. Those pastries look so good!!!! I think you should try a dessert in the name of Korean research... yummmm

    ReplyDelete