Monday 14 November 2011

Home Sweet Home...



I’m settling down nicely in this foreign place that I should soon start to call home, or at the very least, my home away from home.  Though my apartment is small compared to western standards, it is a livable size for one individual especially one that is pint size like myself.  At first glance, it looked  like I have all the amenities that are necessary for an comfortable and efficient manner of living but once I began living out my life and trying to establish a daily routine, I soon realized that daily living was not going to be so simple…
My itty bitty kitchen

My living area

Let’s begin with the basics shall we?  Though my apartment was seemingly clean when I moved in, I wanted to start fresh with a little bit of OCD-type cleaning.  That meant dragging out the few pots and pans that were in my cupboards , moving the appliances, and taking a look under the sink.  And not surprisingly, what did I find?  Grease, dirt, and I’m pretty sure there was a substance that could be classified in the mold family inside my cupboards.  No need to worry though.  I broke out the cleaning supplies (that I thankfully ordered to be at my apartment when I moved in), threw in some elbow grease, and began a three-hour-long relationship with my scrubbing pads (yes, multiple, lol) and got down and dirty, the old-fashioned way.  I will say that I now believe in the power of the orange cleaner and the importance of doing a little bit of investigating to make sure things are up to one’s standards.  Now my apartment, or at least my kitchen and bathroom, is move-in ready.


My heroic substances!
Trail marks of an unknown substance
I have no idea what they were cooking
My multi-purpose bathroom
While some people like the feeling of living out of suitcases, I’ve had my fill of nomadic living.  In the past two months I’ve lived in my apartment, at a friend’s in Lethbridge, upstairs in my parents’ house, downstairs in the house, and crashing at various Calgary friends.  So while I’m sad to have left you all behind, I’m glad to have a place to call my own once more and a place to hang my “hat,” or in this case, my clothes…

My new "hanger"


2 comments:

  1. Ew! Glad you got it cleaned up. So happy to see your clothes have found a home. I bet they start multiplying when you're not looking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have no idea lol, once the cash starts rolling in...

    ReplyDelete