Sunday 6 November 2011


Oh Goldilocks, Where Shall you Rest?

This is my bed.  Isn’t it adorable?  After sleeping on a couch for a month back home, I thought I would be overjoyed to sleep in a normal bed once again.  Not to say that the couch wasn’t comfortable, on the contrary. It was too soft.  To the point that I would become enveloped in its cushions every night and would slide into the back crease so that I would have to wrestle my way back to the surface in the morning.  So after a long day of travelling I am shown my new flat and see this precious little bed.  After a little encouragement from the school director to have a rest despite my remarks that I was full of energy I finally caved and jumped into bed, literally.  And to my disappointment, everything that I had read about Korean beds was accurate.  It is definitely comparable to sleeping on a rock.  Even tenting when camping provides an opportunity to wiggle my limbs into a crease of the earth.  This cute little bed was false advertising that swept me in with its promise of coziness and instead provided me with an evening of shifting and sliding to find the perfect position that would avoid my left shoulder, provide neck support, and allow for a few hours of sleep.  I awoke many times during the evening and forced myself to sleep until sunrise and then napped once more until I nearly suffocated under the covers due to the sun beaming down on me.  So though I did manage to find a somewhat comfortable position, I must still ask myself…how does this Goldilocks make her bed into one that is just right…???

1 comment: