Sunday 11 December 2011

My Kettle-ness is Korean-like


I stumbled upon this blog entry from my first week in Korea.  I didn't know what I was in for when I wrote it but now I have a few stories that proves my survival guide to be accurate!

According to my survival guide, “the temperament of most Koreans can be likened to a kettle; that is, quick to come to a boil and quick to cool off.”  I might just fit in after all.  Drama of all sorts is apparently quite common on Korean streets.  My favourite story that this guide has to offer is of the taxi drivers poking each other through the windows of their vehicles.  

Apparently in a society where conservative dressing and a confident composure is the norm, so are the heated disputes and drunken quarrels on public streets.  It also says that foreigners should stay out of such exchanges. I’m thinking that I may have to tone down my own obnoxiousness and bite my tongue even more than usual.  Even though my own temperament may fit Korea fairly well, I must remember that I will be better off to approach such discourse with my head down and mouth closed.  

Additionally, my guide suggests packing 3-4 months of painkillers.  Luckily, I packed a bottle of 500 units.  Do you think it’ll be enough?  Let’s come back to that question in a few month’s time but until then, let the betting begin…

No comments:

Post a Comment