Tuesday 13 December 2011

Am I A Real Teacher?


Now that's a question that I've been asking myself.  I don't have a teaching degree but I have various forms of teaching experience including tutoring and working as an university teaching assistant.  And yet, I don't feel qualified to call myself a teacher.

I was thrown into this environment after half a day of observing a korean teacher and am now expected to teach, control, and connect with 8 classes of students.  They range from age 10-22 and I swear that Korea's infestation of sugared treats must be influencing the children's behaviour somehow.  Either that or they're just naturally crazy!  I have seen them climb the walls!  Literally!!!!  They hang out the screenless windows, jump off of desks, and crawl up the walls by standing on ledges.  I think that padded walls would be a great investment for the school.  If not for the children's safety, then to provide an appropriate setting for myself after I crack.

I love the children.  Most of them.  There are a few that try my patience and make me realize that when I was in school, I was the worst child ever!  I am sincerely sorry to every teacher that I mouthed off, disrespected, or those that cried because of me.  It makes me what to be a better teacher and really connect with my students without resorting to bribery (we'll see how long that lasts).  It makes me appreciate all of the fantastic teachers that I had in my life!

Teaching english is easy in some ways and mind-blowingly difficult in others.  I have to tailor my vocabulary, pace of speech, and even my accent depending on the age of the child, what they have already been taught, and who has taught them in the past.  Even though it kills me to say this, I am thankful that the American accent is very similar to the Canadian accent.  Most of the children have been exposed to American media and teachers and are used to their form of speech.  I have learned to say zeee instead of zed and have learned to choose my words very carefully and use mountains of synonyms on a daily basis.

The thing I fear most of all is the blank faces of them staring at me after I've used every resource at my disposal.  It plunges me into a world of self-deprecation where I feel that I have failed at my job and failed my students.   While this feeling is short-lived, it is still a wake-up call that I have a lot to learn and that hopefully my research, lesson planning, and enthusiasm will get me through another week.  On a positive note, the adult students love me and specifically request me to be their teacher.  One of my students is broken-hearted that due to her work schedule, she switch classes for part of the week.  Maybe I am a good teacher after all...

1 comment:

  1. As a teacher, the biggest tip I can give you is to tell them your expectations early and stick to them. Students will test their teacher for the first 4-6 weeks, and then the class usually settles. Many times I've been told to keep the expectations to 5, as too many more are difficult for anyone to remember. Even though it's a month in, it's not too late to lay down expectations.

    Also a good seating plan can work wonders in a rambunctious classroom! If you ever want teaching tips, just ask! I'm in Germany, so the time difference isn't as bad as western Canada. (8 hours behind you)

    Good luck, and praying for you! Love the posts!

    ReplyDelete