Thursday 6 December 2012

MRT Trains, Local Trains, Express Trains....oh the Timing of all the Trains....

MRT Trains, Local Trains, Express Trains....oh the Timing of all the Trains... So I'm traveling to Hulien so that I can finally visit Toroku gorge and I actually end up falling asleep on the train.  Now I made three mistakes in this little adventure. First, I was so tired and I fell asleep, second, I woke up and read my clock wrong,  and third, I got off the train thinking that I would just have to re-route back for 10 minutes or so based on the time that I'd overslept.   As I was stepping off the train, I had a thought flash across my mind that maybe this wasn't the best stop to get off due to the lack of other passengers exiting and the darkened station.  But I did get off and I found the station manager who was so sweet to help me and seemed especially confused about why I was at that particular station.  Using monkey talk (basic charades), I managed to convey that I had been sleeping when the train had stopped at Hualien and so I had decided to get off at the next nearest location to try and correct my error.  After discovering that the only other person at the station could speak a little bit of english, we were able to translate what I needed to do and where to go.  So, with ticket in hand, I made my way back up the platform where I waited for a local train to take me to Saaoxin station where I would re-board another Express train to Hulien City. After all of this hooplah, I sat in my seat and re-looked at my map and realized that yes, I had fallen asleep but that I shouldn't have gotten off the train in the first place!  I had still had an hour left of my trip!  It turns out that my ipod hadn't synced up with the local time and instead of adjusting for that hour ahead, I took it as the real time and thought that I'd missed my stop by a mere 10 minutes.  No wonder the train manager was so confused about why I had gotten off at his station when all I had to do was stay on the train!!!!!  And so, here I am feeling foolish and wide alert and waiting for my next stop, hopefully in Hulien City!  Update:  I am here in Hulien and safe and sound and going to bed to get a good night's rest for tomorrow's adventures!

4 comments:

  1. I feel you can't truly call yourself a traveler until you've had an experience like this! Glad to hear to made it to your destination. I did something similar in Luxembourg, except it was a bus. I got off the bus one stop too early which meant I was 5 to 6 km away from my destination! I ended up in the middle of nowhere along a stretch of fairly unused highway. With no one to ask, I studied the bus schedule enough to figure out the next one wasn't going to be by for another hour or longer. I decided to walk the rest of the way with my 30 lbs pack, but I ended up at the stop only 5 minutes after the second bus did. It was a beautiful walk in through the hills and a long a stream, so in the end my mistake ended up being quite a nice detour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog!<3
    follow you)

    Kathberry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete